Tuesday 3 December 2013

15 sleeps

Some of you may know this but this isn't my first attempt to live in this city. Back in 1999 I came here to "see what it was like.". I faired just as well that time round and lasted only 8 months before moving back East, only to return 6 months later and stay for another 18 months. It was during this stint that I met today's "will miss".

Being a serial temp since leaving the RAAF I tend to change jobs often or at least get shuffled around a department a lot and have therefore worked in a few different organisations. When I got the call asking if I'd be willing to work at ECU in Churchlands I had no idea where that even was. My first time round this fair city I was South of the river (SOR) second time round I am North (NOR).  NOR is better, for example when I first lived here only NOR had a train line. I still can't fathom how a city has a train line on only one side of it... I'm completely off subject now!!

Back to ECU - I took the job on offer working with the International students team and this was when I met JoJo. At 20 she was the sweetest girl I had ever met and in fact to date she holds that title. Gentle, kind, caring, funny and literally just a sweetheart! She is a teacher and I have always felt the children in her classes are blessed. In fact I have said to her several times how I wish she had been my own sons teacher. JoJo is a mum now and I know her beautiful son will be miles ahead of his peers by the time he hits school because his mum is not only loving and caring but smart and she teaches him, even now.

In the time we have been friends we have shared a great deal. Marriages, babies, divorce, the loss of her beloved Dad and through it all there were birthday cards and texts -  early morning breakfasts, spasmodic calls and emails, never once has distance or lack of contact threatened this friendship. There is an unwritten rule with the best of friendships that says "sometimes life gets in the way" and that is OK. (Especially when your life is as drama filled as mine!)   Her patience and ability to simply listen and let me vent never trying to fix me or my issues has been a great gift. I'm grateful for her friendship and will miss her dearly!

Will miss number 17 - my JoJo xx


No comments:

Post a Comment