Monday 9 December 2013

9 sleeps

Finding really good Chinese food has always been a struggle for me. It's very much like a lucky dip! Being what some of my friends call "fussy" but what I consider to be discerning in the standard of meat I will eat, makes it difficult to enjoy random Chinese. You just never know what you're getting. There is a very good reason I don't do yum cha!

Leaving Canberra was hard for lots of reasons but one of the biggest holes left to fill was our weekly outing to Phoenix Garden, a random over sized Chinese restaurant in Phillip that did more take away than it did dine in but did the MOST amazing schezuan beef. With tender, no fat on it at all beef, and the right mix of heat and sweet, mmmm it makes my mouth water thinking about it. As you can imagine, I was keen to find a replacement, quickly.  But alas, every Chinese place near us was dodgy. It sounds so dramatic I know, but when you are a foodie, not being able to indulge in a favourite takes it's toll!

Cue Mon and Lisa, who also introduced me to the Prophet and I find myself in Chinese/Malaysian heaven in a dodgy looking restaurant on Albany Highway where the staff are far from polite and where the food is out in under 10 minutes just so they can rush you out the door. I was brave, I ordered the schezuan preparing myself for disappointment. To my utter delight although it wasn't exactly the same, it was very bloody close and I had, at last, found my Chinese replacement!

On the Albany Highway in East Vic Park, you will find the most fabulous honey chicken and schezuan beef. As a side, the staff liked us so much more after we took a visiting German friend who spoke fluent Chinese and ordered for us in Chinese! Will miss 23, TenTen Kitchen.


1 comment: