Wednesday 11 December 2013

8 sleeps

Whether it's discussing heartache, children, work, love, family or shopping for Christmas pressies or new clothes, time with today's 'will miss' is always great fun and good for my soul.

We met in 2000 when I was pregnant with my first son. We worked together as site secretary's for the ammonia plant being built south of the city. She for the Technip team, myself for the CSBP team. We spent countless hours in one another's office and bonded over conversations about the various people we worked with whom we gave dedicated nicknames... The Count for example, one of the engineers laughed like The Count and looked a little like him too!

Hours of laughter between us has forged a bond that distance or time cannot break. We have gone years without seeing one another, the odd text and call and never forgetting each others birthdays has helped us stay in touch, but it wouldn't matter. We fall back into our friendship like an old pair of shoes. Comfy and well worn, beloved, never to be thrown away.

As one of my closest confidants there is nothing she doesn't know and nothing I can't share with her. Never one to judge, she barely raises her eyebrows when I tell her even the most crazy things I have been up to in my life. She giggles and tells me sternly there are certain things I'm never to do again. i.e. get married. I laugh at her and promise her 'never again' and we continue our conversation.

She has always had my best interests at heart, she used to drive 25 minutes out of her way every morning just to pick me up for work. She left me her car when she went to NZ so I wouldn't have to catch the bus to work. The kind of friend who thinks nothing of the enormous things she does for you, just because she can.

Will miss 24, amongst my favourite people in the world, Carmel.


No comments:

Post a Comment