Tuesday 17 December 2013

2 sleeps

In 1994ish "will miss" #2 Doc told us he was going to ask his girlfriend to uproot her life and move to Canberra to be with him. He forewarned us that "she wasn't really like us" meaning that she wasn't a binge drinker who would wake up after a night out and not be quite sure exactly what went on.  He continued saying she was shy, quiet and reserved (I couldn't understand how he thought we may not get on, she sounded just like me...)

Finally the day came and she arrived, I'm certain she would have felt overwhelmed, she was moving into a share house with three sailors whose best friends and closest neighbours (we just happened to live across the park!) were two  banging hot chicks who enjoyed a drink or three but you would never have known if she wasn't comfortable such is her warm nature she simply fitted in with us.

As I write this some 19 years later I prepare for my last nights here and I'm spending them with this"will miss".  So clearly, we got on! During this 19 years we have forged a bond and friendship that has seen us face the passing of friends, the breakdown of relationships, births of our children and the "loss" of Doc to his alcohol addiction.  She has always been there for me. Any time of day or night. When I needed somewhere to run to where I could regain my perspective and sit on my arse and do bugger all it was always her home. Saturday night girls nights with the kids and a few good movies were a favourite as were Halloween parties and her amazing fairy cakes!

Will miss 30 - Karen xx




No comments:

Post a Comment